CR123A vs AA: Choosing the Right Battery for Your EDC Flashlight
It’s not an easy decision for some, but for me I choose rechargeable AA batteries and use a solar charger to top them up. They are easy to find, inexpensive and with the solar charger, an unlimited supply of free electricity to charge them up. But that’s just me.
If you’re having trouble deciding, the folks over at Fenix Outfitters have an article discussing the pros and cons of each. Do read the whole article as there is some great information there, but here is a digest of their thoughts:
You might want to use an AA light if you…
- want something simple
- don’t necessarily need the brightest light
- want easy-to-find batteries when traveling or during emergencies
- have room to spare in your pockets
- prefer a longer light that’s easier to grip
If that sounds like you, I’d recommend getting some rechargeable NiMH batteries — that’d be your best bet for performance, maintenance and value in the long run.
You might want to use a CR123A light if you…
- are a flashaholic, or flashlight enthusiast (there are dozens of us!)
- want more power and runtime
- don’t mind ordering batteries online in bulk and paying more for it
- want the most compact carry possible, without compromising performance
If you have any comments or suggestions, please feel free to leave them in the comment section below.
And if you’d like regular updates by email, simply fill in your email address and hit subscribe. I will never share or sell your information!
I hope you find this information useful and if you have family or friends this could help, please feel free to email them or pass it on by using the share buttons below.