Oops! Don’t panic! Here’s how you can build your own family size water filtration system for just a few dollars and in just a few minutes.
Despite water being the most important item you can store for emergencies, – you can only live for 3 days without it! – many people don’t or can’t store water.
Reasons people don’t store water.
- Water is heavy
- Water is bulky
- Water is another expense
- I simply don’t have the room!
Ok, so you didn’t or couldn’t store water, there’s a disaster looming, now what do I do?
Build a home water filtration system in 30 minutes!
What you’ll need:
- 3 – 5 gallon plastic buckets
- plastic water container
- wooden board
- two cement blocks
- Drill or some tool to make holes in the 5 gallon plastic buckets
As you can see from this video make by National Geographic, almost anyone can make this water filter system in about 30 minutes or less.
If you can’t get these materials, there are some alternatives to purify your water.
- Boiling – First filter your water through a sieve if it has particulates such as leaves, etc. Then filter agin with a coffee filter or T-shirt of you don’t have some filters. Be sure and bring the water to a rapid boil and boil for 1 – 3 minutes.
- Water purification tablets. If you can’t store water, store some water purification tablets and follow the instructions on the tablets. You can get them at most sporting goods stores or online at Amazon.
- Bleach. Add some bleach to your water after you’ve filtered out the particulates as mentioned above.
Here’s an infographic from Sugar Free You, showing you how much bleach to water ratio to use.
Here are some additional tips I think can really help you out with your water storage needs.
- If you have room, consider getting a rain barrel so you have an alternate source of water
- If you can’t get a rain barrel, try to identify 3 alternate sources of water to gather from. I say 3 because the closest one to you is probably the one other people are going to draw from. It could run out fast! Ditto the second. At least with 3 you may have a chance at getting some water. Try using Google maps or paper maps to identify these water sources.
- Get several 1 gallon plastic containers to carry the water in. Water is heavy! You don’t want to try to lug a 5 gallon water container very far!
- Stock some water flavourings such as Gatorade or your favourite flavour. Treated water can taste funny.
- The folks over at Survival Life.com have a post with some other ideas on purifying water.
So there you have it folks! How to build a family size home water filtration system in about 30 mins for just a few dollars, minimum tools and skills. The other great thing about this system is storing it. You can nest the buckets inside each other, put the sand, charcoal and gravel in the top bucket and sit the buckets on the board and blocks!
Next time you’re out, stop by a store and pick up the items needed for your filtration system, store them away and forget about them. Then you can just put them together in a few minutes and you’re done!
If you have any comments or suggestions, please feel free to leave them in the comment section below.
And if you’d like regular updates by email, simply fill in your email address and hit subscribe. I will never share or sell your information!
I hope you find this information useful and if you have family or friends this could help, please feel free to email them or pass it on by using the share buttons below.